Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Moving on...



What do you do when the bottom falls out? You get a new bottom! I had had time to think about how to solve this problem for a while and had been thinking about getting some drums -- bass and a floor (or low) tom, and may as well have a snare while we are at it! I was not looking forward to the idea of starting choir in the Fall with the uncertainty of what we were going to do in the air. I happened to look on craigslist two days before school was out in the spring, and found a bass drum and a low tom sold as a pair (I already had a snare). Perfect. We rehearsed for a couple of hours and performed with this configuration at an End-of Year school function called the "Starwalk," which is our way of saying goodbye to our 5th graders who are going on to middle school, and to staff who will not be returning. It was a success and we were able to end the year knowing that we would be alright in the Fall of 2009. When the Fall got here, I was not completely happy with the sound, so I switched to baritone guitar, and did lots of musical re-arranging so that I could mix bass lines with "regular" guitar stuff. We were ready to go with this configuration after three weeks -- just in time for our Fall performance at the old Pecan Street Festival I would say that it has been a success, as we have not slowed down at all! Just as adding the stomp energized our group a few years ago, the drums have taken that energy up another level! More pics coming...