Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

In the beginning...



In the Fall of 2005, I had one of my music students ask if we could start a choir. I said sure, I had been thinking about getting one started anyway. Since students were really into the song "Angel Band" at the time, I thought it might be interesting to kind of specialize in African American spirituals with the choir. Between the rockin' sounds, the important curricular connections, and the fact that no one else seemed to be doing this, beyond maybe a program for Black History month, it seemed like a good idea at the time (and still does!). In order to choose potential choir members, I asked students who were interested in being in choir (grades 3-5) to raise their hands, I listened to them sing, and I checked with classroom teachers to see who had a "semi-mandatory " tutoring conflict. We began with eight choir members. We practiced twice a week for about two months, did a Fall program, and we were on are way. Dig those vests!